Title: Visitor Services Associate
Reports To: Assistant Director
The purpose of our museum store is to extend the educational and scholarly mission of The American Museum of Tort Law, to contribute to the operating budget, to promote our institution through product development and retail marketing, and to provide a unique educational experience to customers.
The Visitor Services Associate (V.S.A.) is responsible for providing outstanding customer service and for performing operational duties that drive sales through merchandising, Point of Sale (P.O.S.) functions, store and gallery neatness, and other related duties. The V.S.A. represents the American Museum of Tort Law to our patrons. Associates must be courteous, efficient and have a genuine desire to meet the needs of the patrons, and the museum. Flexibility is essential!
- Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with patrons and coworkers.
- Provide efficient service.
- Maintain excellent communication.
- Work collaboratively to support and achieve the goals of the Museum.
- Follow management direction in completing duties.
- Operate Point of Sale and prepare customer receipts accurately including total price, tax, shipping and handling as applicable.
- Count the drawer at the start and or end of your shift. Check cash count accuracy against Shopify cash total for the day’s sales.
- Follow opening and/or closing procedures (separate document).
- Restock and straighten inventory in store and stockroom.
- Review merchandise stock levels and communicate to supervisor, regularly.
- Monitor visitor activity, track data How they heard about us, where they came from log on Daily Report Sheet
- Answer routine customer questions, including phone inquires
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas – counter, office and storage
- Ensure cleanliness of museum looking for stray litter, communicating larger issues
- Report any damage or malfunctioning equipment to supervisor
- Data entry and mass mailing preparation
- Prepare web orders, and other shipping: process paperwork, pack and ship goods
- Stay informed about current and future museum exhibitions and programs
- Gain familiarity with merchandise and exhibits, to best serve visitors, and drive sales.
- Assist in unloading stock check products against invoices, identify and document damaged products.
- Record customer product suggestions.
- Participate in museum store operations off site, such as sales at off site events, which includes preparing merchandise for conveyance.